When it's Time to "Run for The Roses," Stay at the Crown Jewel of Kentucky Derby Hotels
The Most Elegant Hotel near Churchill Downs
The Kentucky Derby, often called the "most exciting two minutes in sports" for its approximate time length, is the first leg of the Triple Crown of racing. In the world of sports, there may not be a more memorable moment than when the horses step onto the track and the band plays "My Old Kentucky Home." Just as no other horse race compares to the Kentucky Derby, no other hotel compares to the Brown, where you will enjoy an the authentic Kentucky Derby experience.
The race for three-year-old thoroughbred horses takes place the first Saturday in May. Churchill Downs is located three miles from The Brown Hotel.
A number of traditions have played a large role in Derby History:
- The "Mint Julep," an iced drink of bourbon, mint and sugar, is the traditional beverage of the race.
- "Millionaire's Row" refers to the box seats that attract the rich and famous. Over the years, the Kentucky Derby has had a special appeal to celebrities from around the world. The rich and famous that mingle on Derby Day add a unique dimension to the race. Elegant women appear in big hats and long dresses.
- The Kentucky Derby is often referred to as the "Run for the Roses" because a lush blanket of 554 red roses is awarded to the winner each year.
Many guests to the Kentucky Derby stay at The Brown year after year. We look forward to having you with us during this most exciting event.
Kentucky Derby helpful information:
- Gates will open on Friday and Saturday at 8:00 a.m.
- The first race of each day will begin at 10:30 a.m.
- The approximate post time for Kentucky Oaks 5:45 p.m.
- The approximate post time for The Kentucky Derby is 6:24 p.m.
Our Kentucky Derby 3-night package for the 140th Kentucky Derby, May 1 - 4, 2014, includes a welcome gift and Sunday Brunch:
- Please call the hotel directly for information about availability.
- Please note that packages do not include tickets.
- Please note that reservations require full, non-refundable pre-payment.
Prices are exclusive of taxes.