Louisville, Kentucky's Cultural Epicenter
The largest city in Kentucky, Louisville sits in the state’s storied Bluegrass region, an area renowned for its Thoroughbred horse breeding and high-quality livestock. Called the “Gateway to the South,” it was founded in 1778 by George Rogers Clark and is named after King Louis XVI of France. Today, its claims to fame include the Kentucky Derby, Louisville Cardinals and the iconic Louisville Slugger baseball bat.
The city’s architecture blends old and new. Victorian homes, historic cast iron structures and modern downtown skyscrapers tell the story of the city’s early growth as a major shipping port and Union stronghold during the Civil War.
Favorite attractions and activities include:
- The Kentucky Center – Just one mile from the Brown, The Kentucky Center for the Performing Arts is home to the Louisville Ballet, Kentucky Opera and Louisville Orchestra.
- The Louisville Zoo – Just seven miles from the Brown, this beautiful zoo features a wide variety of animals, including Western lowland gorillas in the Gorilla Forest.
- The Belle of Louisville – A national landmark, the Belle of Louisville is the oldest Mississippi-style steam-wheeler in the country. Located just 10 blocks from the hotel.
- Louisville Slugger Museum – Just 11 blocks from the hotel, this museum is home to the world-famous Louisville Slugger baseball bat. A can’t-miss attraction for baseball fans.
- Louisville Stoneware Company – The country’s oldest and most revered stoneware manufacturer, the Louisville Stoneware Company offers paint-your-own-pottery experiences and tours of its facility, which is located just one mile from the hotel.
- Kentucky Derby Museum – Situated on the front steps of historic Churchill Downs, this museum captures the history and tradition of hospitality that have made the Kentucky Derby synonymous with Louisville.
- Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom – Just five miles from the Brown, this amusement park is home to Chang, the tallest, longest and fastest stand-up roller coaster in the world.
From shopping and sightseeing to education and recreation, the Brown sits at the heart of all that makes Louisville a vibrant and booming metropolitan city. Other nearby attractions include:
- Brown Theatre – adjacent to Hotel
- Louisville Palace Theatre – ½ block
- 4th Street Live! Entertainment District – 4 blocks
- Kentucky Center for the Arts – 7 blocks
- Muhammad Ali Center – 9 blocks
- Louisville Science Center/IMAX Theatre – 9 blocks
- Kentucky Museum of Art and Craft – 9 blocks
- Glassworks – 10 blocks
- Thunder Over Louisville – 10 blocks
- Frazier International History Museum – 12 blocks
- Old Louisville – 1 mile
- The Kentucky Center for the Performing Arts – 1 mile
- Louisville Ballet – 1 mile
- Louisville Orchestra – 1 mile
- University of Louisville – 1 mile
- Louisville Extreme Park – 1 mile
- Actors Theatre – 1 mile
- Speed Art Museum – 2 miles
- Waterfront Park – 2 miles
- Joe Ley Antiques – 2 miles
- Louisville Antique Mall – 2 miles
- Churchill Downs – 3 miles
- Hadley Pottery – 3 miles
- Derby Dinner Playhouse – 4 miles
- Oxmoor Mall – 13 miles
- Mall of St. Matthews – 13 miles
- Quail Chase Golf Course – 15 miles
- Covered Bridge Golf Course – 16 miles
Business travelers to the city will find that the hotel is in close proximity to many corporate offices and the Kentucky International Convention Center, just a four-block stroll.
- Kindred Healthcare – Across the street
- Brown Forman Corporation – 11 blocks
- Spalding University – 2 blocks
- Sud Chemie – 3 miles
- UPS – 7 miles
- Hilliard Lyons – 3 blocks
- Presbyterian Church Headquarters – 2 miles
- Humana – 7 blocks
- Aegon Center – 6 blocks
- National City Tower – 7 blocks
- PNC Plaza – 5 blocks
Great restaurants, shopping, the museum district, and golf are also part of what makes Louisville a memorable place. And when you are staying at the elegant and landmark Brown Hotel, you are right in the heart of all of the action at the best place to be in the city!